Scholarships and Bursaries
A wide range of academic and non-academic scholarships are available at First, Third and Sixth Form levels. These are generally capped at 10%.
The College also aims to improve accessibility by providing bursaries, which are means-tested. Members of HM Forces and the Merchant Navy are eligible for a reduction in the fees. Details of all scholarships are available on request to the Registrar. Further details on bursaries are available from the Bursar.
The Maritime Initiative
Bearwood College offers the children and grandchildren of those working at sea or in a marine-related industry a 20% discount on the rate of school fees under its Maritime Initiative (MI).
Details of this scheme are:
- Boarding and Day. This scheme applies equally to day and boarding fees. The scheme applies to the main (tuition and boarding) portion of the school fees and does not apply to any of the ‘extras’
- Eligibility. The MI is available to:
- the children and grandchildren of those working at sea, such as in the Merchant Navy, professional fishermen etc
- the children and grandchildren of those working in a marine-related industry, such as ship-/boat-building, chandleries,
- the children and grandchildren of those who have formerly worked at sea or in a marine-related industry
- Application. All applications for registration at Bearwood College (including applications for MI) are to be made to the Registrar of Bearwood College. The Registrar asks candidates applying for the MI to provide documentary proof of their eligibility.
- Sibling Discount. The MI is available to all children of a particular Merchant Seaman or marine worker. Children in receipt of MI do not receive an additional sibling discount.
- Bursaries and Scholarships. The MI may run concurrently with a Bursary or Scholarship at the discretion of the Headmaster but may affect the amount of these awards.
- Foundationers. The MI does not apply to Foundationers of the Royal Merchant Navy School Foundation (RMNSF), which receives a 20% discount in its own right.
- Staff. College staff in receipt of staff discount are not additionally eligible for the MI.
Sea Vision Bearwood College is a partner of Sea Vision UK, the national campaign to raise sea awareness. The Headmaster is a member of the Sea Vision UK Education and Careers Committee.
The College expects MI participants to continue within the scheme throughout their educational career at Bearwood. Nevertheless, the College reserves the right to make changes to the scheme, or to withdraw availability of the scheme to new participants, without notice. In cases where eligibility to join the scheme is unclear, the decision of the College is final.